Follow Our Blog

Our Awesome Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Beauty: Amanda's March Birchbox Review


I can't believe it's April already! Where did March go? I got a pretty good Birchbox last month and can't wait to share my reviews with you. The sample sizes (except for one) were a good size and I liked the variety in this box. I'm considering trying another subscription service instead of Birchbox(did you see Adrianne's Glossybox review yesterday? So amazing!)  but want to give it one more month to see if I should stick around or not. Here's what I got this month:




1. Madewell for Birchbox Nail Emery Board
According to the Birchbox Breakdown: We generally frown upon PDG (public displays of grooming) but this floral-patterned mini-file is so charming, we’re tempted to make an exception. Inspired by Madewell’s new spring collection, which features sun-ready prints and patterns like this one, the emery board is as practical as it is pretty. The double-sided nail care essential is perfect for daily maintenance and as a quick fix for snags or breaks.

My review: I thought this nail file was super cute! I love the pattern and I like how it came with a plastic sleeve so I could just throw it in my purse without worrying about it. After a few uses, it was getting pretty beat up. I don't think it will last as long as some of my other nail files, but it sure is pretty :)

2. MAKE Silk Cream Lipstick
According to the Birchbox Breakdown: We love a lipstick that delivers intense, long-lasting color—and this smudge-proof formula doesn’t disappoint. Matte hues include timeless classics, like Maraschino Cherry, a rich crimson red; easy neutrals like Putty, a peachy nude; and trend-setting tints like Flamingo, a vivid pink with yellow undertones. The hydrating, antioxidant-rich lipstick does double duty as a lip treatment, and, best of all, MAKE donates one-third of all sales to the brand’s parent non-profit, which supports women-led cooperatives.

My review: I wish the sample size was a little bigger but I really did like this product. I received the Marashino Cherry color and it looked great with my skin tone. I thought it stayed really well too!

3. MAKE Dual-Phase Eye Makeup Remover
According to the Birchbox Breakdown: Sometimes, we can get by with face wash alone. Other days—like when we go all out with a smoky eye and bold, long-lasting lip color—call for a dedicated makeup remover. This gentle, oil-based formula removes shadow, liner, and mascara without breaking a sweat. Plus, it’s fragrance-free, paraben-free, and hypoallergenic—which means you don’t have to worry about redness or irritation.

My review: I usually just use coconut oil and LUSH Ultrabland to remove my eye makeup, but I was very pleasantly surprised on how much I liked this makeup remover. It was super gentle (usually eye makeup removers bother my eyes a bit) and it got everything off very well without requiring a ton of product or cotton balls. I really liked it a lot and am considering purchasing it!

4. Macadamia Natural Oil™ Healing Oil Treatment
According to the Birchbox Breakdown: We typically enjoy our macadamias covered in chocolate, so we were delighted to discover that this delicious treat could also work wonders on our hair. Made with a blend of macadamia and argan oils, this restorative treatment infuses hair with weightless moisture and repairs dry and damaged strands from the inside out.

My review: I love this! The smell is fantastic and it left my hair incredibly silky and smooth without weighing it down. I would purchase this product in a second!

5. Macadamia Natural Oil™ Deep Repair Masque
According to the Birchbox Breakbown: Unless you’re a newborn (in which case it would be odd that you’re reading this), your hair has almost certainly been damaged. That’s because everyday life is a minefield—heat styling, brushing, coloring, even sleeping all cause hair damage. Luckily, there’s a solution. This luxurious mask from Macadamia Natural Oil™ penetrates the hair shaft to reconstruct strands from the inside out, so you’re left with stronger, shinier, and healthier hair after each use.

My review: This stuff was great! I didn't like how I had to get out of the shower after washing my hair, comb the product in and wait 7 minutes and then get back into the shower to wash it out but my silky soft hair was worth the extra steps. My hair looked and felt incredibly healthy and smooth.

6. Sage + Fasten Common Sense
According to the Birchbox Breakdown: As evidenced by our oft-updated Pinterest boards, Instagram feeds, and Tumblrs, we’re always on the lookout for sparks of inspiration. Since we’re used to pick-me-ups of the image and word variety, we were happily surprised to discover them in fragrance form. SAGE + fasten founder Vivian Lee has created a line of four scents, each meant to embody the quality for which it’s named. Common Sense, inspired by Lee’s levelheaded mom, is a refreshing and bright reminder to use our heads and keep our cool. Now that’s inspiring.

My review: This was just ok for me. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. The scent was nice and light. I didn't like the applicator - the ball didn't roll very well and resulted in trace amounts of product to come out. The packaging was very cute though!

What do you think? Should I stick with Birchbox or try another service?

No comments:

Post a Comment