Follow Our Blog

Our Awesome Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

How to Eat Healthy at Holiday Gatherings


We hope you all had a safe and fun Memorial Day yesterday! Jay and I had his family over for a barbeque to celebrate. It's no secret that the holidays are a time to get family and friends together to celebrate. Another thing that the holidays bring is a lot of delicious food. It can be easy to get off track on your healthy eating when there is so many tempting dishes around! I do believe that you can have everything in moderation and you should indulge to cravings (again, in moderation) so you don't binge later. Restricting too much isn't healthy either! Live a little :) Here are some tips that I have found that help me to not completely overdo it on the holidays.

1. Bring a healthy dish to share. Eating healthy can be hard at a party, especially when you're not hosting and you don't know what is being served. Offer to bring your favorite healthy dish to share. This will ensure that you will at least have something good to munch on and to share with others. Your hosts will apprecaite it too! 

2. Keep an eye on your portions. See your favorite side dish and dessert? Go for it! Just be mindful of how much you're putting on your plate. I've noticed that if I really want to indulge in something that I normally don't, a few bites is more than enough to satisfy that craving. 

3. Stay hydrated. When you're thirsty, your body usually mistakes that as hunger and you eat more than you should. Make sure to balance your alcoholic beverages with water so you stay hydrated throughout the day. 

4. Slow down. When I have a lot of delicious food in front of me it's hard to be mindful of how much food I'm consuming and how full I actually feel. Make sure to hang out with your friends and family and slow down to enjoy your food. This is something I really need to work on -- I always eat too fast! 

5. Relax and have fun! The holidays are meant to be celebrated. Have a great time and don't beat yourself up if you've indulged more than you planned. Tomorrow is a new day and you can get right back on track in no time! The added stress from feeling guilty about it will only add pounds to your waistline. Enjoy it and have fun! 

Do you have any tips for eating healthy at holiday gatherings? Share them in the comments below! 



No comments:

Post a Comment