Follow Our Blog

Our Awesome Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Amanda's January Birchbox


I can't believe I'm already reviewing my first Birchbox of 2013! I was happy with the range of samples I received this month. However, I was a little sad because most of the sample sizes were very tiny! I know some months are better than others in terms of sample items and the sizes of the products so I'm not too worried about it! I did get some great stuff this month.




1. Ojon damage reverse™ Instant Restorative Hair Serum

According to the Birchbox Breakdown: Our hair behaves in strange and mysterious ways—one day it’s limp and lackluster, and the next it’s a poofy ball of frizz. Fortunately, this golden serum is capable of fixing all our temperamental hair woes. Rich in exotic Ojon oil from Central American rain forests, it instantly neutralizes flyaways, boosts shine, and adds softness while repairing years’ worth of self-inflicted hair damage. We use it on damp hair as a pre-blow dry treatment and heat protectant and on dry hair as a leave-in styling aide to keep hair shiny and frizz-free for up to eight hours. 

My review: I thought this hair serum worked pretty well. I'm very happy with my current brand, but it was nice to see what else is out there. I HATED the packaging though -- the lid on the top of the sample didn't stay tight and it got everywhere. Luckily my smooth hair made up for the mess it created :)


 2. alessandro Nail Polish in Blue Lagoon

According to the Birchbox Breakdown: It doesn’t matter how many times we’ve given ourselves a mani—we always end up with stray polish all over our cuticles. Luckily, this German brand is out to make the whole affair easier. Considered one of the premier professional lacquer brands in Europe, alessandro crossed the ocean to bring us its rock-solid formula and specially designed bottle. With both bright, flashy colors and universally flattering neutrals, you’re bound to find a shade you love.

My Review: I wanted to love this because the bottle was super cute and I loved the color. I don't own anything like it and haven't rocked blue nail polish since middle school. This color was awesome though and great for the winter. However, only hours after I polished my nails (with a base and top coat too) they chipped -- bad! Two days later they look terrible and I will have to remove it tonight. Sigh, I wish this wasn't the case.



3. theBalm® cosmetics Put a Lid On It™

According to the Birchbox Breakdown: This eyelid primer is the Thelma to your eye shadow’s Louise. The velvety formula guarantees that colorful shadows stay bright and smudge-free for hours. Suitable for all skin types and tones, the sheer formula blends in seamlessly and doesn’t leave any kind of residue on your lids.

My Review: This is my third theBalm product that I've received from Birchbox and I was very happy once again with this eyeshadow primer. It goes on silky smooth, doesn't crease or cake at all and helped my eyeshadow to blend perfectly. I love this stuff! I wish the sample was larger because I will be so sad when it runs out.



4. Harvey Prince Skinny Chic

According to the Birchbox Breakdown: Despite our best efforts to stay healthy and eat right, every day we experience an inevitable afternoon slump a few hours after lunch. In lieu of downing yet another cup of coffee or reaching for a sugary treat, we’ve been spritzing on this chic new scent from Harvey Prince. The fresh and fruity blend of apple, mint, and grapefruit is specially formulated to keep us energized—and curb cravings to boot. (Which is not to say we don’t condone the occasional cookie. Or two. )

My Review: I unfortunately didn't feel the energizing and curbed craving effects that this product claims after I used it. The scent itself was okay but not something I typically go for. I won't be purchasing this scent.



5. Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream

According to the Birchbox Breakdown: Life can be a bit of an emotional roller coaster, so it’s no wonder that we laugh, frown, look confused, and express surprise more times than we can count on any given day. While there’s nothing wrong with letting our feelings show, we’re not so crazy about the expression lines (ahem…wrinkles) that develop as a result. This brand-new moisturizer from Fresh is made with a proprietary blend of seven actives to prevent and treat all the signs of skin aging while keeping skin moisturized day and night.

My Review: I really liked this moisturizer a lot. It smelled exactly like fresh cut cucumbers (my favorite) and really hydrated my dry skin without making me feel greasy. I love the Fresh line and can't wait to continue to use this moisturizer. I wish the sample was a little bigger though!

Want to receive for your own Birchbox? Click here to sign up!

No comments:

Post a Comment