One of my favorite things about winter is the food. Warm, hearty dishes take over and one of my favorites is chili. Nothing beats a hot bowl on a cold night. I love to serve it with a side of cornbread for an extra delicious and filling meal. It's a great way to get a bunch of protein while still eating clean. Here's one of my favorite recipes that I've found.
Clean Eating 3 Bean Chili
(adapted from the Gracious Pantry)
What you'll need:
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3/4 cup carrots, chopped
1 (15 oz) can died tomatoes, no salt added
1 (15 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can black beans
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tbsp. taco seasoning
3 cups vegetable broth
What do to:
1. Saute the carrots, onions, cumin and taco seasoning in the olive oil using a medium sized soup pot for about 5 minutes
2. Add all other ingredients and stir to combine
3. At medium heat, bring to a boil
4. Allow to boil for approximately 10-15 minutes and turn heat to low
5. Let simmer for 30-45 minutes stirring occasionally (the longer you let it cook the more flavorful it will be)
6. Allow to cool and serve with a little bit of cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips or anything else you'd like to garnish it with.
Do you love warm comfort foods in the winter? Let us know if you try this recipe out!