Follow Our Blog

Our Awesome Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Southwestern Black Bean Casserole

 
My future MIL shared this recipe with me and I couldn't wait to try it. Mexican and vegetarian? Sign me up! I made some changes to it so that it would include more whole ingredients instead of the reduced fat variety (which are actually worse for you than the real thing but that's another post for a different day). My fiance and I loved it!
 
Adapted from here.
 
 
What you'll need:
    2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
    2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup vegetable broth
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Salt to taste
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (I used more than this because I love the stuff)
    6 corn tortillas (cut two of them in half)
    12 ounces salsa
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
 
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Drain beans, and set aside.
3. In a medium skillet, add oil; heat over medium-low heat. Add garlic and saute until tender (about 4 minutes).
3. Add black beans and broth, and continue cooking approximately 3 minutes. Add cumin, black pepper, salt, and cilantro; stir to combine.
4. Spray the bottom of an 8x8-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray or line with foil (I do this for easy clean up). Add 1 and 1/2 tortillas, 1/4 black bean mixture, 1/4 salsa, and 1/4 cheese; continue layering until all ingredients have been used.
5. Cover casserole dish with foil, and bake approximately 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove foil, and continue cooking 8–10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before cutting.
6. Garnish with sour cream, more cilantro, tortilla chips or whatever else comes to mind! Enjoy :)
 
Let us know if you try this! Are there any other good Mexican recipes you'd like to share? Leave them in the comments!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment