My parents both work for the airlines so I think I'm an expert traveler by now. I've mastered how to pack light for a vacation and thought I'd share some of my tips with you.
1. Invest in a roller bag that can fit in the overhead bins of the airplane (10 x 16 x 24 inches). It's SO much easier not to check luggage if you don't have to. Want to save at least 30 minutes at the airport? Please invest in one. I promise the limited space will make up for it by saving you tons of time.
2. Make the most of your other personal item. Most airlines allow one carryon bag and one personal item (purse, backpack, etc.) I usually bring a huge purse and put all of my makeup, toiletries, curling iron, straightener, book or magazine, iPod, phone, snacks and other things I want to grab quickly during my flight.
3. Start making a list early of things you CAN’T forget. I usually start one on my cellphone and add to it as soon as I think of anything. Check it over before you’re done packing to make sure there’s nothing you’ve forgotten. Earplugs, cellphone charger, camera charger and IDs are things that are always on my lists.
4. I usually get cold on the plane so I bring socks and a sweater (if I'm not wearing them already) to keep me warm.
5. Keep jewelry and belts off until after you're through security and wear shoes that are easy to remove. No one likes waiting behind the people who forget about this. Also - take your laptop out of your bag and place it in the tray before going through the scanner!
6. At least a week before you leave plan out your outfits. I know, I like to have options too but it will keep your over packing to a minimum. I always pack a few backups but usually end up sticking to what I originally planned out. You’ll save room and time in the morning because you’ve already planned out your outfit for the day. I usually try on each outfit as I pack to make sure I don’t forget anything like a belt or the right accessories.
7. Pick shoes that can be worn with multiple outfits and try to wear your bulkiest pair to the airport. This will save a ton of room!
8. I promise that whatever you forget, you can most likely purchase at your destination. It’s not worth stressing about! After all, you’re on vacation – relax and enjoy it!
Do you have any tips to add? What is your favorite place to travel to?