Whether you’re a skincare pro and know exactly what works for you or you have yet to figure it all out, the following tips are ones that everyone should follow in order to get clear and healthy skin.
- Try not to sleep with your facial skin touching your pillow. The hair products you use combined with the natural oils of your hair rub onto your pillow as you sleep and all that can wind up on your face and clog pores. Additionally, sleeping on your face causes creases on your face. Over time this can cause permanent wrinkles.
- Regularly wipe down your cell phone. This seems like a no brainer, but not enough people do it.
- Trying out new skin care products and not seeing results? Your skin may need several weeks to respond. If a product doesn’t immediately work, give it at least six to eight weeks before you give up. The exception to this is if you immediately have a bad reaction to the product.
- Use separate towels for your body and face. Though you’re clean when you come out of the shower, your hair may still have conditioner residue that can transfer from your towel to your face and clog your pores.
- Every night before you go to sleep, moisturize your feet and put on a pair of socks. When you wake up in the morning, the soles of your feet will be incredibly soft.
- Wear SPF every day – even during the winter. If you can, try to reapply throughout the day. You’d be surprised how much sun exposure you get while doing things like driving in your car. Don’t forget your neck and very sensitive upper chest area.
- Exfoliate, but not too much. Exfoliating every day can actually dry out your skin. Start with once per week and see how your skin responds. If you have oily skin, try twice per week.
- Wash your makeup brushes as often as possible (at least once per week). And make sure you clean your makeup products as well.
- Moisturize all of your skin every time your step out of the shower.
- Drink lots of water and eat a healthy diet. Avoid smoking and limit your alcohol intake.
- Do everything you can not to touch your face throughout the day. If you touch your face without washing your hands first, you’re transferring any bacteria from your hands to your face.
- Apply your facial moisturizer while your skin is still damp.
- When washing your face or taking a shower, avoid using water that is too hot.
- Remove your makeup before you go to sleep every night. Better yet, remove your makeup as soon as you get home if you know you’re staying in for the night.
- Don’t forget to exfoliate your lips! Moisten a washcloth and gently run it across your lips. Be sure to add lots of lip balm afterward.
Do you have some great skincare tips to share? Leave them below in the comments!