What you need:
- 1 cup of cooked shredded chicken
- ¾ cup of grated cheese (cheddar or a Mexican blend is best)
- ¼ cup fresh tomato salsa or chopped tomatoes
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- Cooking spray
How to do it:
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, cheese and salsa/tomatoes.
- Place two of the tortillas down on a flat surface.
- Scoop the chicken/cheese/salsa mixture onto the two tortillas, dividing evenly. Spread the mixture, but leave some room near the edges.
- Place the two remaining tortillas on top.
- Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray and place one of the quesadillas down. Cook over medium heat for two to three minutes. Flip and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Remove from the pan and slice into wedges.
A few tips to keep this recipe healthy:
- If you absolutely must garnish with sour cream, use the fat free kind.
- Use this meal as a way to get your veggies—add onions or peppers as part of the filling.
- Top the quesadillas with sliced avocados or guacamole.
- If you need a side to go with your meal, try black beans.