Can you believe we’re nearing the end of the year? My final Birchbox of the year had a few good surprises and one BIG disappointment for me. Read on to see what I thought:
1. theBalm® cosmetics Mary-Lou Manizer
2. amika Obliphica Nourishing Mask
3. Chuao Chocolatier Assorted ChocoPod
4. Aerie Shimmer Fragrance
5. Lashem Measurable Difference Lash Gel Serum
1. theBalm® cosmetics Mary-Lou Manizer: This honey-colored luminzer is made with light-reflecting silica particles to provide a soft shimmery glow on the face. As soon as I tried this luminzer, I loved it. The color is great and I think it would work on any skin tone.
Left: blended, Right: not blended
One of the best things about this product is its versatility—it can be used to highlight the cheeks, inner corners of the eyes or brow bones. If you’d like to go even further, you can dust a little on the bridge of your nose or cupid’s bow, or just wear it as an eyeshadow. If you’re looking for a subtle way to highlight your fact, definitely check this one out.
2. amika Obliphica Nourishing Mask: Does your hair suffer from split ends or breakage? You are definitely going to want to check out this nourishing mask. The conditioner is made from vitamins and omega acids and is free from parabens and sulfates. It can either be used as an everyday conditioner or weekly deep conditioning treatment. Use it like you would any other conditioner—work it in to your hair, concentrating on the ends, and leave it in anywhere from two to five minutes. Then thoroughly rinse with lukewarm water.
My hair felt noticeably more soft and smooth after using the conditioner. I would definitely recommend trying this one out if you’ve got dry, damaged hair or if you regularly color.
3. Chuao Chocolatier Assorted ChocoPod: I’m always a little confused when Birchbox includes some kind of edible treat, but I did enjoy this sample. This treat is sold in a box of seven. I think it’d be impossible to eat just one at a time.
4. Aerie Shimmer Fragrance: I’m already a big fan of Aerie’s loungewear and underwear, but I’ve never tried any of the brand’s fragrances. I was pleasantly surprised—the fragrance is a subtle blend of floral scents and vanilla. I would definitely pick this perfume up, especially for the low price tag.
5. Lashem Measurable Difference Lash Gel Serum: This lash serum, according to the Birchbox website, was designed to be different from others. It contains all-natural ingredients like green tea, cucumber, goji berry and grape-seed extracts to help fortify lashes and keep them healthy. The product can also be used to help grow brow hairs.
I’ve always been skeptical about lash serums and have been wary about trying them. I’m happy with the length and thickness of my lashes. In addition, I’ve heard things about lash serums—that they can irritate the skin around the eyes or even change your eye’s pigmentation. That’s scary stuff. I didn’t try this sample right away for these reasons, but figured I should try it at least once.
I’m sorry to say that I was right about this product. I did just as the product said—before bed one night, I removed all my makeup and didn’t apply any creams near my eyelid and lashes. I applied a very thin layer of the serum along my top lash line. When I woke up in the morning, my eyelids hurt and my eyes were extremely red and sore. My eyes remained this way the entire next day. I assume to see any benefit from the product that you’d need to continue using it, but after my experience I’m done trying out lash serums. I would strongly recommend talking to your doctor before trying a lash serum.
Have you tried out any products recently that you either had a bad reaction to or just hated? Tell us in the comments!