Looking for a simple craft you can do in a short amount of time that will pretty up the walls in your home?
I had two empty shelves on a wall in my bedroom, and I was looking for something to put on the top shelf. This craft was easy to do, and I really like the way it turned out.
What you’ll need:
- Canvas(es) – your choice of size
- Masking or painter’s tape
- Paint(s) – in any color(s) you want
- Cup or paint holder
- Newspaper or scrap paper
This craft is simple to pull off, and there are a few different ways you can do it. It’s all up to the look you want.
I chose to place two canvases side-by-side and create an abstract pattern using blue painter’s tape. I aligned the canvases so the pattern could continue across both without interruption. Once I finished placing the tape, I pressed down on the tape to make sure there were no areas where the tape was lifted. I then painted two coats in two different colors over each of the canvases. One tip: paint along the tape, never paint toward the sides of the tape or you risk the paint bleeding under it. Then, just remove the tape and set the canvases out to dry on some newspaper.
This is a really versatile craft. Here are a few other ideas:
- Do vertical or horizontal stripes – something more symmetric. Or, paint the canvas one color, tape, then paint another color so you get a piece that incorporates two of your favorite colors.
- The craft will make a different impression on your home depending on the paint colors and size of canvas you select. Choose a large canvas and bright colors to create a statement piece for your living room, or choose several small canvases and soft colors to create a serene series for your bathroom.
- Use the tape to write your child’s name and help them finger paint to create one-of-a-kind wall art for their bedroom or play room. Let your child be in charge of choosing the colors.
- If you’ve got the skills, use the tape to create a more intricate design or scene.