Follow Our Blog

Our Awesome Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Motivation: It's Never Too Late


Last year, an Oregon man who dropped out of college in 1932 finally received his degree. This man, aged 99, decided that he wasn’t too old to finish something he’d set out to do many years prior. He’s the perfect example that it’s never too late.

There are few things worse than getting older and feeling like you’re not accomplishing the things you want or were meant to do. It’s crappy to feel like you have so much you want to do, but aren’t getting anywhere. Or, maybe you feel like your window of opportunity has passed.

I have a long mental list of things I’d like to do, learn and accomplish. Recently I’ve begun to tackle that list. I purchased a nice camera and have started to read about and practice photography. I’ve made it a priority to become fluent in Spanish. I’m trying to get better with several different types of software. Even this blog and the personal blog I recently started are examples of things that have been rolling around in my mind for a while.

There are so many other things on my list—many of which you’ll hear about on this blog. But the thing I want to convey right now is that there is no time line in life. I spent quite a bit of time building my mental list of to-dos and now I’m finally starting to do them.

It’s not hard to come up with excuses to prevent yourself from doing the things you want. Maybe you’re too busy or you think you don’t have the resources to accomplish your goals. The truth is that if something is important to you, you will find a way to do it.


There are also a few other things to remember. Maybe you’ll think I’m a pessimist for writing about these things during what’s meant to be an encouraging blog post, but I prefer to think of myself as realistic. And I think perhaps sometimes I'm pegged as pessimistic, when all I really try to do is keep a level head about things. I don’t think that most people who accomplish their goals find it to be an easy ride. People encounter all sorts of problems and set backs on their way to achieving things. In the interest of not painting unrealistic expectations:
  • Most things take some amount of work, maybe a lot of work. You need to get off your butt and actually DO something. 
  • You need to accept the fact that you may fail. Just because you want something and work for it doesn’t mean that you will be wildly successful at it. 
  • It won’t happen overnight. Just don’t become impatient. It might take years for you to be able to say you finally did what you set out to do.
With all that being said, wouldn’t you rather try and know how things turn out rather than be afraid or put things off? In my opinion, it’s better to try and fail than spend every day wondering what your life could have been like if you only tried. And what better time than now?

Share your goals with us – we’d love to hear them and be able to offer our encouragement! 


No comments:

Post a Comment